White Rock/ Surrey's Historic Street Names
120th Street – Scott Road: – In 1873 Col. J. T. Scott contracted to build a wagon road south from Brownsville to the Ladner Trunk Road to give Ladner residents a short cut to New Westminster.
128th Street – Sandell Road: – A Swedish sailor Nels Peter Anderson jumped ship in 1887 and settled at what is now the corner of 96th Avenue and 128th Street. Fearing discovery he changed his name to Sandell, married, farmed and fished in Surrey. This is the northern end of 128th Street.
128th Street – Stevenson Road: – Ben Stevenson came to Surrey in 1887. He owned 97 hectares on Wade Road (44th Ave) at Mud Bay. He later acquired land and settled west of 128th Street from the southern bluff north to 24th Avenue. This is the southern end of 128th Street from the Nicomekl River to the bluff above Semiahmoo Bay.
136th Street – Bergstrom Road: – Mr. Bergstrom, a farmer and one-time Ward 2 alderman (1897) who lived along 136th Street near Bear Creek Park.
136th Street – Peace Arch Highway, King George Highway (99A): - King George Highway, opened in 1940, and ran from Hjorth Road south to Bose Road along the line of Bergstrom Road or 136th Street.
144th Street – Archibald Road: – A Mr. Archibald homesteaded a quarter section west of James Johnston's quarter section on Johnston Road. This was the south-east corner of what is now 80th Avenue and 144th Street. A trail, later improved to a road, linked the Archibald homestead to Yale Road.
152nd Street – Johnston Road: – In 1866
James Johnston and his two sons Isaac and William came to surrey and homesteaded land along 152nd Street north of 64th Avenue to 80th Avenue. All were active in Municipal affairs. This road ran north–south through the Johnston Settlement.
160th Street – Boothroyd Road: – This section of the road is located between the Serpentine and Nicomekl Rivers and runs north and south along side a quarter section that George Boothroyd farmed.George Boothroyd built a house for his family in 1873 in Surrey Centre, which still exists and operates as the Wired Monk. He was a councilor in 1882 and often there after.
160th Street – Pike Road: – William Pike had originally settled along the Semiahmoo Road in 1872. (See the Pike Family) He later sold this property and settled the south west corner of Pike Road and Yale Road. He was also on Surrey Council. Pike Road begins north of the Serpentine lowlands and crossed Yale Road to Townline Road (96th Avenue).
160th Street – Stayte Road: – Reverend Stayte, a Presbyterian or Methodist Minister, who owned a farm along the road before 1900. Stayte Road runs south of the Nicomekl lowlands to the Campbell River. Its southern portion is the eastern boundary of White Rock and Surrey.
168th Street – Coast Meridian Road: – In 1859, J.W. Trutch began a land survey for the Fraser Valley. It was based on a line of the Coast Meridian that cut Semiahmoo Bay at the International Border. That survey slash line, north to the Fraser River, would in time become Coast Meridian Road.
(See Coast Meridian Road)
176th Street – Clover Valley Road: – Clover Valley was the name the Shannon Brothers gave to the region of their homestead. This became the name of the road running north and south through Clover Valley later Cloverdale.
176th Street – Pacific Highway: – When Pacific Highway was designated in 1913 (from the New Westminster rail and road bridge at Brownsville along the Yale Road to Clover Valley Road) the section of Clover Valley Road from Yale Road to the Border was included in and renamed Pacific Highway.
184th Street – Halls Prairie Road: – In 1845 Sam Hall, a trapper, lived on the edge of the small prairie with his native wife. The prairie was named after Hall; Halls Prairie. This road linking Yale Road to Boundary Road and the border was the best all weather-road before Pacific Highway was cemented in 1923.
192nd Street – Latimer Road: – Mr. J. Latimer settled on the east side of Surrey and served on its second council. Latimer Road ran north south from Brown Road north to the Fraser River. In 1879 this was the eastern boundary of Surrey. When it was discovered that a half–mile strip between the municipalities of Surrey and Langley did not belong to either, the boundary was moved a half–mile east in 1881 to 196th Street, the present boundary.
196th Street – Kells Road: – This road marks the eastern boundary of Surrey. Two men both namedHenry Kells, preempted land on the Fraser River and established Port Kells on the Fraser River. Later Port Kells was moved inland to become a station on the New Westminster Southern Railway.
Harvey Road: This road was the former rail bed of the New Westminster Southern Railway from Yale Road to Port Kells. After the rails were removed the road along the right of way was named after the first engineer on the line - Robert Harvie.
Crescent Road: In 1884, a road was built following the south bank of the Nicomekl River to provide access to Blackie's Spit later Crescent Beach. This road serviced fisherman and hunters using Blackie's Spit.
Telegraph Trail: This was part of the line of the ill-fated overland telegraph system and ran from New Westminster eastward along the south shore of the Fraser to Yale and the Cariboo Wagon Road.
Yale Road, Fraser Highway (1A): This was an all-weather road built from Brownsville east through the Fraser Valley to Yale. It provided access when the Fraser River froze over in the winter.