Using Candles Safely

 

Like most home products, candles are safe as long as you use them properly. The problem is thinking that as long as a candle doesn't fall over or come into contact with anything flammable, it is okay.


However, according to the National Candle Association (candles.org) there's more you can do to ensure candle safety.

  • Do not place candles where they can be knocked over by pets. (Cats can be particularly fascinated by the flickering light.)

  • Trim the wick to 1/4 inch before burning. A long wick can cause the candle to drip.

  • Don't burn a candle all the way down. At about two inches, put the candle out.

  • Despite what you see in movies, don’t try to bravely extinguish a

    candle with your fingers.

  • Avoid using a candle during a power outage. Use flashlights instead.

  • Never use a candle as a night light next to your bed.

    And, of course, never leave a candle burning unattended. If you need to leave the room, put the candle out. 

     

    Until next time,

     

    Darin


Comments:
No comments

Post Your Comment:

The data relating to real estate on this website comes in part from the MLS® Reciprocity program of either the Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver (REBGV), the Fraser Valley Real Estate Board (FVREB) or the Chilliwack and District Real Estate Board (CADREB). Real estate listings held by participating real estate firms are marked with the MLS® logo and detailed information about the listing includes the name of the listing agent. This representation is based in whole or part on data generated by either the REBGV, the FVREB or the CADREB which assumes no responsibility for its accuracy. The materials contained on this page may not be reproduced without the express written consent of either the REBGV, the FVREB or the CADREB.