How to Tell if A Neighborhood Is Improving
When you’re looking for a new home, you want to find one in a great neighborhood – or, at least, in a neighborhood that is on the upswing. How can you tell if particular areas are improving neighborhoods? Here are some common indicators:
- Pride of ownership. Take a walk around the neighborhood. Do you get a sense that people take good care of their homes? Are the lawns mowed? Is the landscaping trimmed? Are flowers planted? Homeowners are more likely to look after their properties when they like where they are living.
- Home improvements. Are people investing in their homes? Are they getting their driveways redone? Their windows replaced? Are there signs of home improvement projects? If so, this is a clear indication that homeowners like the area enough to invest in their properties.
- Real estate sales activity. Do homes tend to sell quickly in the area? Do they sell for a good price? If so, the neighborhood is probably in demand. If people want to live there, it’s a desirable area.
- Business investment. Are businesses investing in the surrounding area? Is there an increase in the number of upscale shops, health clubs, restaurants, and other commercial enterprises that often locate near desirable neighborhoods?
- Community involvement. Are there signs that the community plays an active role in the look and lifestyle of the neighborhood? Are there neighborhood picnics, yard sales, and other get-togethers? Check Facebook.com to see if the neighborhood has a community page.
- City plans. Find out what plans the city has for the area. Will there be road improvements done in the near future? Are there any major construction projects on the schedule, such as a new school or community center? Although such projects can be disruptive in the short term, they may improve the neighborhood – and, as a result, boost the value of any home you buy – in the long term.
Of course, the best way to find out the desirability of a neighborhood is to talk to a good REALTOR® who knows the area.
Surrey, BC stands out as a highly desirable destination for homebuyers due to its unique blend of urban convenience and natural beauty. As one of the fastest-growing cities in Metro Vancouver, Surrey offers a diverse range…
Before you move to British Columbia: A guide for home buyers If you have considered relocating and moving to BC from Ontario, Alberta or another province, the aim of this blog today is to share some…
Popular articles from our blog
The process of purchasing a home often raises the question, “When is the best time to buy a home?” While various factors contribute to the answer, it is essential to look beyond timing. Many first-time home…